Didn’t have the chance to check in with NCEA Talk each day? We’ve got you covered. Each Friday NCEA Talk will post a roundup of Catholic education news and resources from the week.
In case you missed it…
Happening Next Week
- Many Gifts, One Nation: A Day of Giving to Catholic Schools is January 29 – 30, 2019 during National Catholic Schools Week. Schools now have until FRIDAY, JANUARY 18, 2019 to customize their giving pages. If you need your log-in information resent, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School Choice and Catholic Schools 101 – Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 1 PM EST
- Spotting Learning Differences in Students and Building Their Path to Success – Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 1 PM EST
- Best Practices in Preschool and Kindergarten Education: A Brain-Based Approach – Thursday, January 17, 2019, 4 PM EST
Major Announcements & Deadlines
- Mark your calendars for Summer Professional Development!
- The 2019 NCEA New Directions STREAM 3.0 Conference is taking place June 17 – 18, 2019 in Parsippany, NJ. More information about this innovative and engaging conference is available at www.NCEA.org/stream.
- The Institute for Catholic School Leaders (ICSL) will be July 14 – 17, 2019 in Indianapolis, IN. Please check www.NCEA.org/icsl for details about this dynamic leadership conference!
- Calling teacher leaders! Do you have an idea to address a perceived need in your school, district or state? The Teach to Lead® team is accepting idea submissions through January 28 for its 17th Teacher Leadership Summit, March 29 – 31 in Philadelphia, where teams will receive critical support to turn their ideas into action. Private school teachers are eligible to apply.
- TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics and Science) is a one-day engineering competition for students in middle and high school. The 2019 competition theme is “The Engineering Brain” and is composed of three components related to the theme – designing and building a solution to a problem, rigorous math problems and an essay. All competitions occur between February 13 and March 17. Learn more on the TEAMS website. Schools that are members of NCEA can use code NCEA to receive a 30% discount off of the national registration fee of $150. For more information, contact Jenn Glover, TEAMS Manager.
- At this time, the 2019 Visions for Excellence Early Childhood Seminar on April 24 during the NCEA 2019 Convention & Expo is SOLD OUT. Please watch your email for information on the waiting list for this event!
- The National Speak Up for Digital Learning Survey Project is open for participation through January 31, 2019. Learn more about this important program.
- The Winter 2019 issue of Momentum is now available online!
- Please share this month’s Parent News Flyer (in English and Spanish) with your school families. Previous Parent News Flyers are available on the NCEA website. ICYMI: The December 2018 Parent News Flyer focuses on inclusion as it pertains to Catholic schools. Feel free to read it in English or Spanish.
- Melissa Johnson, a veteran Catholic school teacher, is the co-creator of the eLearning 10-lesson course, Understanding Racism. Read her outstanding blog on NCEA Talk called “Open Wide Our Hearts.” This is a crucial time in our nation’s history. We are witnesses to a disturbing rise in racist attitudes, expressions, and violence in American society.
- As Catholic educators, we are called to inclusion. This infographic displays inclusion efforts promoted by the Church over the past six decades and outlines a call to action.
- Check out our new and improved IFG: ACRE and Adult Survey programs.
- The U.S. Department of Education (ED) announced the release of two toolkits which provide suggestions and resources for English Language (EL) learners utilizing technology-based resources.
- Maximize Federal Benefits Under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) provides helpful information for Catholic schools in understanding the ESSA.